Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to voluntary work!!

I was a member of the Hong Kong Red Cross during my 7-year secondary school studies. I was involved in lots of voluntary projects and I was totally into it. After secondary school, I joined the Adult Unit of HK Red Cross, but since I was always overseas and the nature of Adult Unit was to provide assistance to the Youth Units rather than to be involved in voluntary work, I'm now no longer a member of them. Since then, I've never joined any regular voluntary work.

But I'm back to the voluntary team finally!! This time I'm not helping people.. I'm helping animals, mainly pets now.. I just joined the NUS Animal Welfare Club this semester, and I've signed up for regular voluntary work, which I'll be going to MettaCats Shelter and Animal Lovers League every weekend to help cleaning and feeding etc.

This is going to be a bit tough for me since I will be seeing lots of abandon cats and dogs. There are 100+ cats and 20+ dogs in MettaCats now and 700+ cats and 100+ dogs in Animal Lovers League!! Unlike SPCA, these two organisations keep animals until their last breath rather than putting them down. And thus they end up with so many animals!

Somehow I feel like this is a path for me to go, as a regular volunteer, no matter I'm helping human or animals.. I just love to help. I always want to go to third world countries to help people build up villages, find clean water etc. However, since my parents have 'invested' so much on me, I know I cant do this now. Maybe later in my life I will do this.

Deep in my heart I always think that I will not have my own family, I will be single all my life. But I always try to change it, cos I love family. I really want to have one. However, if I had my own family, I won't be able to do all sorts of voluntary work I want to do.. cos I have to work very hard for my family.

Maybe this is a hint for me to give up my dream of having my own family and work on my other dream of being a life time volunteer... gonna be a tough road.. but happy. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I never know you like voluntary work this much!

You know what this is what my degree is about, understanding and helping people in developing countries! Maybe you should study it one day, coz this course have so many distant students and you can just be one of them!

And I can give you all the hints to get the marks, hahaha...

I know a bit about international voluntary works to third world countries since it's related to my studies, and I was actually planning about doing it before, ask me if you want!