Sunday, March 25, 2007

The power of music

I've been quite lazy this weekend.
I spent my whole day outside yesterday, and then spent all this morning on my NDSL..
so.. I put myself to the library in the afternoon after lunch..
which... was a mistake!

I thought that I've been to the library on Sundays and stayed until late at night before..
and obviously.. I was wrong.
I arrived there at around 3:45pm only to notice that it is going to be closed at 4:30pm...
well.. anyway.. I can still work for 45mins..

I was wrong again!
coz I could only work for 30mins.
Although I couldn't finish my work, I was taught the power of the music!

Usually there will be announcement at certain time before the library close to remind the readers to pack their things and leave on time.
The libraries at my uni (ANU) and the libraries I worked for (HK Public libraries) make these announcements 30 mins before closing.
But I noticed that.. the readers of both the libraries never leave until the security guards kick them out..

However, the library here... at least the one at business faculty... managed to make all the students "evacuate" only in the last 15 mins!
The difference is, of course, the music they choose and how they use it.

There was no announcement at 4pm.. the announcement only started at 4:15.
Soonly after the formal announcement, the music came!
The music I heard from ANU and HK library were very smooth, soft one that you don't mind to hear it everyday.
but the one I heard today...
is those that you would never want to hear in a library...
It was very passionate, very exciting... I'm sure that trumpet was the main instrument in the piece.
Most importantly.. it was in full volume.. which makes my heart beat faster and faster.
From the moment that the music started, you just know that you won't be able to stay there any longer.

That was exactly what happend.
People packed their stuff ASAP and left the library as if they were evacuating!!
Of course, "people" here include myself.

Although I left the library, I was still able to hear the music even I had already walked away from the building.
The power of the music!!

But.. I know there are some people who really love this piece of music -- the library staff.
Coz I worked in library before.. hahaha
we do love the closing music very very much! sometimes we do hum along with the music!!

No comments: