Monday, October 23, 2006

A strategic marketing game - Markstrat

One of the assessments of my Strategic Marketing course this semester was a marketing simulation game.
The whole class were divided into 17 groups of 6, completing in 3 different industries.
This is a common assessment for marketing subjects all over the world and I'm not going to talk about the details.
What I want to say is about my team~

I know nobody at the begining of the semester except a Chinese student who did a same course with me last semester.
So when the lecturer asked us to team up, the two of us started looking for other people in the lecture room.

It was an important task to do because you gonna choose someone who will be working with you in the coming 7 weeks!
I was trying to look for Asian people at that time because I recognised some of them and I recalled that they are pretty smart.
But my Chinese friend insisted on finding "Western" students because he thought they are smarter than us. (When I heard this.. I was like.. What the.....>.<)

Honestly, I had very bad experience working with Western students in the past semesters, especially the one that I worked with in summer school. She turned up for class every 3 classes..never turned up when we scheduled a meeting (only 2 of us!) and finally dropped the course without saying anything to me. I had to work on my own at last~~

However, I still don't mind working with Western students because sometimes working with Easterns (especially Hong Kong & Chinese) also has a lot of problems..

So.. finally we've got 2 Australians, 1 Thai, 1 Chinese + 2 Hong Kong (including me).

one thing I noticed when we first formed the group and had to choose one of us to become the CEO of the team was that,
someone (I couldn't remember who) pointed to the 2 Aussies and asked, "which one of you want to be the CEO?"

anyone see any problems here?
At that time, no one seems to have problem with that..
It seems so natural that it MUST be either one of them to be the CEO, no one bother asking one of the Asians.

The thing that makes me worried was not the fact that Asian do not have chances to become leader in the group,
It was the fact that "everything seems so natural" that makes me sooooo worried!!
Why the hell that everyone (Western & Asian) was so comfortable about this??
Have we already became subconcious about this?

I don't mean that Westerners should not be the leaders..
and the fact is, even if someone asked the Asians (including me) if they want to become the CEO or not,
I swear that there will be no one in my group would have said "yes" to that..
but.. why didn't someone ask??

I don't see this as a problem of my group.
I think this is a general problem here.
and I have no problems with my team mates.

Actually, the overall process of the game was a fun to me.
The only thing we need to do was to have meeting each week for 7 weeks,
to make decisions for the upcoming period according to what happened in the previous period.
We had 2-hour meeting every week on Thursday afternoon,
quite different to what I observed from other groups,
our group members get alone with each other very well,
I had great fun every meeting..
actually we almost got complaint from others every time because we were too noisy~~

Indeed, I love my group members~
We worked together so well,
we didn't need long boring meetings to get things done..
I really enjoyed the efficiency~
And the best thing is..
most of the time our CEO drove us back home after the meetings!!
really good employee benefit!!

I always look forward for the group meeting each week,
it seems like a kind of gathering to me rather than an assignment..
The game is over now, I'm already missing the meeting time..
Don't know if we still have a chance to meet together and have real fun (rather than making decisions for the game)..

Anyway..
just want to say..
I love u all guys (Benn, Kate, Rochelle, Thatcher & Xin) ~

No comments: