Sunday, November 18, 2007

Where do I study?

After almost one year studying at NUS, I still unable to find a place that I feel comfortable to study.

When I was in Australia, during the study week, I went to library almost everyday to prepare for my exam. One week is usually enough for me provided that I had a good environment to study just like the Chifley library at ANU.

Chifley provides lots of single seats with window, and most importantly, it is absolutely quiet. We never chat in library. Well, of course there are some people who love to talk, but they are just very few of them and they will be stopped by the other students sooner or later.

The reason I had to go to Chifley library is that I need to get away from my laptop during my study. You know, the Internet is the most distracting thing in the world. So, without the Internet, I went to the library 10am-10pm for at least one week. And usually I'm well-prepared for my exams.

What about NUS?
First, my own room is not a choice because it's a place that I associate it with "rest". The bed is just beside my desk. (It is a tiny room.) And again, I have my laptop with me.
Ok, then what about the library?
Honestly, I don't really sure if I should call it library or not? Because the libraries in NUS are just like a fastfood restaurant. The reading area are set with tables for four so people can sit in groups. Usually students talk when they sit like that, and what's more? They love to bring their lunch boxes into the library......
So the library here is freaking noisy.. and annoying..
I have no idea how these people study with groups of friend laughing and chatting whole day..
If I heard people chatting at ANU library, I will tell them to shut up (in a polite way of course). But in NUS, I cannot do that.. how could you tell the whole library to shut up?

anyway..
I know something like an iPod would be nice to solve my problem because as long as I don't hear people talking and laughing, I can concentrate. But unfortunately, I'm not that rich yet to afford an iPod or any MP3 player. So..I have to bring my laptop with me if I want to have music.
But...guess what...Internet is here as well!!! arghhh...

so... I can never be as concentrate as I was in ANU.

luckily.. this is my last semester already, and I do have some motivation to study hard..
so at least I know I won't fail. hehe...

No comments: