Saturday, September 8, 2007

10 reasons I chose Singapore for exchange

Ever since I've came to Singapore for exchange since Janurary this year, I'm always questioned by my friends for the reasons why I chose Singapore for my exchange but not other countries like the States or Europe.

My friends in Australia never ask me question like this. In fact they are quite excited with my choice, although the common places for exchange are still those Western countries. On the other hand, the local students in Singapore seems never understand why a person like me would chose to stay in Singapore for a year.

I truly understand their doubts. I grew up in Hong Kong, a place where perceived to be very similar to Singapore. Why should I come to Singapore to experience the same culture and same lifestyle? Besides, people in Asian countries, especially the younger generation, do have a feeling that life in Western countries is somehow better than here and we should at least find some ways to experience it.

Then why would I come to Singapore?

1. Before I give you my reasons, maybe you can stop for a second and think why should I NOT come to Singapore?

2. I do not think that Singapore is very similar to Hong Kong. In fact they are quite different in terms of culture. And I think that every single place has its own unique culture for us to explore.

3. I've been staying in a Westernised country, Australia for more than 2 years before I came to Singapore. I've also stayed another 1 year in Sydney several years ago. Although Australia is not located in the West....

4. Singapore gives me a gateway to explore the Southeast Asian cutlure, which is far more interesting than the Western culture and also something going to dissappear in near future.

5. Language is a barrier to me. If I can speak more languages, I would be going to places like Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia...instead.

6. I can't afford going to Europe / the States even if I want to.

7. The university I'm going to study here is not my 1st concern as I'm still graduating as an ANU student. And the experience is far more important for me than the name of the uni.

8. Compare to Australia, I saved some living costs for my parents by chosing to study in Singapore.

9. Somehow, I think I'm meant to be here to meet someone... then get hurt.

10. This is my choice. I want to do it. Don't judge me.

Is that enough?

No comments: