Thursday, September 13, 2007

Going to Laos soon

Semester break is coming soon, I didn't plan to go anywhere except probably going to Malaysia for a day trip for voluntary work. However something happened to me suddenly and now I've made myself for a one-week trip to Laos by myself.

This is my first time travelling alone. Some of my friends say I'm too brave and even the uncle who sold me the backpack also said I should not go Laos by myself. But I have my reasons for this trip. Although I'm nearly broke, I'm already eating only one meal per day, I still insist on this trip. Besides, the very first time I went to Australia to the hotel school, I was also there alone. Plus, I don't have anyone here in Singapore. So.. what's the difference..

Anyway.. it won't be a perfect trip to Laos though. It is now the rainy season there actually. And 1 week is far too short to explore Laos especially that I don't have money to take inland flights. And bascially I have very little knowledge about Laos until this week I started planning my trip. I'm still not well-planned.. haha..

But I did book the flights already in case I changed my mind last minute and decided not to go. I know myself too well. sigh..

So here's my rough plan so far:

23 Sept - take early flight (0630) to Bangkok, take another flight to Luang Prabang. Stay there for the day

24 Sept - take 8-hr bus to Phonsavan, walk around Phonsavan

25 Sept - visit Plain of Jars

26 Sept - take that 8-hr bus back to Luang Prabang

27 Sept - Luang Prabang

28 Sept - take flight to Bangkok

29 Sept - have a bit time in Bangkok before flying back to Singapore at night.

As you can see from the plan, I won't be able to do many places in my trip. But the main place I wanna go is the Plain of Jars and I really have very tight budget. So this is the way to go..

School starts on 1 Oct, which I will have an essay due on that day, followed by 2 mid-term exams on the 2 Oct... I don't really know how I can prepare all these while going to the trip.. maybe bring along my readings and read them on the bus trips??

Anyway.. I am still going..

see? this is the kind of person I am. Do things without considering the consequences. Stupid enough?

After the trip, I'll probably have no money left for daily life already. But.. let's leave it until later.. I've so many things to worry about at the mean time.

I'm still looking for accommodation during the trip and also planning for places to go during the days in Luang Prabang and Phonsavan, even the last day in Bangkok.

But I also have to prepare for my exam coming up next week!! and also have to look for a job and housing.... etc..

So if you guys have any ideas on Luang Prabang / Phonsavan / Bangkok, please leave me a message ok? And please also give me advise on what I should bring along.. is it ok if I just wear a pair of flip-flops?

arghh.. I'm so not ready for everything... help!

No comments: