Friday, August 17, 2007

Today's lecture (edited)

Somehow I'm a bit hyper today even I only had 3-hour sleep last night.. I dunno why...

I had a nice talk with my psychologist this morning, I realized some changes on myself. And I'm quite happy with that.

So let's talk about my lecture today, Marketing Southeast Asia's Heritage.
It was a 2-hour lecture, and indeed it last exactly 2 hours!! The class is super small, there were not more than 20 of us in the room today!!

So what is it about? Generally it's about tourism marketing, but it's not about how to make profit. It's about how to sustain the culture. But if you can sustain the culture, it actually brings u more profits!

The lecturer is a PhD of Anthropology. I like his style and I LOVE his flexibility of doing things (compared to what I've seen in Singapore so far).. Initially there will be two tutorial groups to choose from, both are on Tuesdays. (ok, don't be surprised, last semester I'd got one courses that had all 5 or 6 tutorial groups that were all held on same day!!) One student went to him and said she couldn't make it for both tutorials then he asked all of us for our schedules and he did the most funny thing I've heard...... we are still going to have two tutorial groups, one is on Tuedays with 1x students and the other one will be on Wednesdays morning, with only the 4 students who are not free on Tues!! And they are going to have the tutorials in the lecturer's office!! hahaha!! I really love him!!

And we don't need to purchase any textbook for this course because we are using the lecturer's book and he uploaded the whole book to the intranet for us for free!!! Can you imagine that??

We will have 5 tutorials throughout the semester only, and 3 of them will be held outside the campus!! so nice!!

Two things that the lecturer mentioned today about Singapore surprised me very much! First, Singapore doesn't have proper tourism management education institutions, even universities here do not offer programs on tourism management. But tourism is playing such a major role to the economics in Singapore!! Second, Singapore doesn't have an official department of Archaeology! So everyone can go and dig the land and you can get what you've found!! He actually dug something and donated to the museums before! I hope he's going to show us later on.

Anyway.. I think I'm going to learn so much from this course although I've already got a diploma of tourism management before. =P This will be a totally different experience! However, there will be a lot of readings to do throughout the course which will really kills me because I'm so unfamiliar with the vocabulraries even for famous heritage names, coz I only know them in Chinese/Cantonese... >.<

Oh.. one more thing! Finally I'm going to have a take-home exam, in my very last semester!! hahaha.. I always wanna have one.. now I will have one during the mid-sem exam!!

haha.. i'm a bit crazy tonight..
maybe I should stop here now until someone thinks I am on drugs!!

by the way, I really love being in school!! really!!

No comments: