Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lovely Chinese old men

Please note that everything I'm going to talk about in this entry DOES NOT apply to the new generation Chinese guys. It only applies to Chinese men aged 50 or above.

Today (Tuesday) I've got a break from 12nn to 6pm, so I decided to go out of campus to have some sunbath. I took a bus and I saw an old Chinese man get on the bus with his wife.

I saw the man got on the bus first and quickly walked to the seats next to the exit door, he stood right next to the seat of the front row and looked back to his wife. His wife walked very slowly and she needed an umbrella to help her walk. When she almost reached seat, the old man pointed at the seat, (a human gesture telling her to sit there), waited until she sat down, then he sat down at the seat right behind her.

Here's the seatings of the bus.

Exit
1st row:  A
2nd row: BC
3rd row: DE

so his wife was sitting at Seat A while the old man sat at Seat C. Seat B was occupied.

A while later, the person at Seat B got off the bus. The old man waited a while longer, used his hand to feel if Seat B was still "hot", then he moved himself to Seat B.

Then, he asked his wife to move and sit with him (i.e. Seat C)
How he did that?

He just ordered "Sit here", without a smile. The old lady gave him a big smile and went to sit with him.

You must be wondering why would I say this old man "lovely" while he is so rude to his wife..

But if you were there watching him, you will also love him. And in face, this is a common charaterisitc of the Chinese men in that generation.

I watched every movement of the old man. I would say he's shy rather then rude. I clearly remember that just after he ordered his wife "sit here", he gave all of us a quick look, and he looked a bit embarrassed. That one second, he was SUPER lovely!!

Old Chinese men are all like this! No matter how much he loves his wife, he will never show it in the public. On the other hand, he always wants to show his power over his wife. But to me, some of them don't really want to do so.. they just don't know what to do, they just think it's not right to show tenderness.. but in fact they love their wife very much and they care about their wife! If you look at the details, you will surely see what they did!

And I think they are much better than those guys who say "I love you" every five minutes, who will brust in tears for you when you just get hurt by a piece of paper. To me, these guys are just acting. Disgusting.

Of course, you will also hear Western men say "I love you" to their lovers all the time, but this is their culture. They say it when they mean it. And they are not acting! However, white guys are not my cup of tea.. hehe

I love Chinese old men. but I also wish my husband will still hold my hand when we are 90 years old!

sigh.. I wish I were 20-30 years older...




No comments: