Friday, August 24, 2007

Anak

Heard this old song at a pub on Wednesday night. This is a very touching tagalog song written in the 70s.

The song was written by Freddie Aguilar to express apology to his parents 5 years after he left school at the age of 18 and got into gambling.

The song first starts out on how a boy's parents took very good care of him when he was a baby. It says that they stayed up late because he was crying for milk. Then, when the baby grows up, he doesn't respect his parents. They wonder what caused him or her to be like that.

And thus the title of the song is Anak (Filipino for Child, a son or a daughter)

The song was a great hit in the 70s and was translated to 26 different languages.

Here's the original Tagalog version

English version

The singer at the pub that night performed the Tagalog version of Anak, although I didn't understand a word of the song and I didn't know the story behind the song at that time, I was still very touched.

I want to dedicate this song to my parents, especially my dad. I really really love him so much. And he's the only person in the world who can forgive whatever I did and still love me unconditionally.

No comments: