Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ending soon

Special semester is coming to the end this week.
Just submitted my term paper for New Media and Community this morning.
Don't really care about the grade I will get.. I'm not really interested in the assignment.
Exams are coming up soon, on Friday and Saturday.
This is probably the first time that I started my revision that early, thanks to my groupmates.

Last night when I was writing my assignment,
the same question came up to my mind again: "Why can't I start writing my paper until the night before due date?"
Yes.. this is me.
Don't really know when I started this bad habit, I never start typing one word until the night before I have to hand it my assignment.
That's crazy, isn't it?

But don't think that I never prepare for my assignment.
Usually I start right after I get the topic.
Especially when I was in ANU, they used to give us the assignment topic right at the beginning of the semester.
Most of the time, I was quite interested in the topic that I was asked to do, and ideas pumped up to my head..
Then I went to library, searched for books, articles...
and most of the time, I had my paper done "in my mind" at very early stage.

However, it always takes me ages to make myself sit in front of the computer and actually type out the paper.
I feel very painful about it.
I know the reason... it's because by the time I finish my assignment "in my mind", I've already learnt something.
And I see no point of typing it out..

Same thing happens after I come to NUS..
the difference is.. I figured it out last night, that I actually didn't feel interested in any reports that I've been asked to do.
Last semester was the worst... except for the advertising project maybe..
but all other assignments... I really feel painful doing them..

Special semester is a bit different though.
Everything is so quick that you'll never realize the pain..
for the Managing Organization class, the "assignment" was super fun, coz it was just presentation and my groupmates are brilliant.
for New Media and Community, there is only individual assignment, and the guideline was so unclear and constantly changing..
that was very annoying..

There were two parts of the assignment in the New Media module, the Interim Report and the Final Paper..
for the Interim, there was no clear guideline of what they are expecting.. so I just did whatever I think is suitable..
as usual, I didn't start writing until the night before..
and even worse, I started 6am in the morning... while the report was due 10am..
I managed to finish the 5-page report in 3hrs.. didn't even double check my work.. so I had a word "life" written as "live".. hahaa..
but.. interestingly.. I've got 6 out of 7 marks..
that's more than I expected..

Last night I started a lot earlier, at about 2am I think..
but i need to write 10pages..
(actually I feel very annoying that NUS uses "pages" instead of "number of words")
Originally I thought that I can use my Interim report as the basis.. but since the lecturer suddently gave us another guideline...
I have to do it all over..
that's really really painful..
and I don't really see the point to have that stupid Interim report...
anyway..

I've been reading lots of articles and books about the topic these days..
so writing it up was not very time-consuming..
but I didn't know that the reference list would like me an hour to finish it..
since NUS uses a different reference style as ANU.. I need to learn it and make sure that I won't mix up with the style that I've been using for a long time.

by the way.. this is really the first assignment in NUS that I was really required to reference properly..
when I was in Business School last semester.. my impression is.. no one cares about that..
I hope this is a mis-perception..

hmm.. guess I'd better sleep..
although I've slept for the whole afternoon.
but I have to get some sleep tonight so that I can study tomorrow for the whole day..

I feel a bit lost now...
Don't really know what I should do after the semester..
Will my travel plan really come true???

No comments: